Our Top Energizing Tips
One perk of eating well and making healthy lifestyle choices is that you gain more energy! Being naturally energized means not having to rely on sugary foods, afternoon naps or excess caffeine.
At OC Nutrition Coaching, we help our clients better understand the root cause of their poor energy levels. Often times, a combination of poor sleep, excess stress and unbalanced diets are to blame. Let's take a look at ways to naturally boost your energy levels.
1. Keep a consistent sleep/wake schedule. Going to bed around the same time every night, especially on weekends, can make a HUGE difference in how you feel! Sleeping in too late can cause grogginess during the day.
2. Don't forget to eat every 3-4 hours. Some of our clients are so BUSY that they forget to eat, we find that setting reminders on your phone can really help!
3. Incorporate hydrating foods into your diet! Think fruits and vegetables- even dairy products such as yogurt and avocados. Coconut water is a great beverage to carry with you on a hot day or during a long workout because it contains a lot of potassium
4. Take a multivitamin and consider a B-complex and Vitamin C supplement. Vitamins and minerals provide our body with energy (along with food and water). Taking supplements, even for a few months, can give your body the boost it's looking for.
5. Try avoiding intense exercises in the evening hours. The evening is a time we should be winding ourselves down- not up! Hard workouts in the evening can make it more difficult to fall and stay asleep.
6. Be sure you are properly hydrating... if your urine has a strong smell or is dark in color, you need to drink more water. Some of our clients don't like the taste of water and find it helpful to add flavor or drink bubbly water.
7. Incorporate protein at every meal. Many of our clients notice a big energy boost when they start incorporating protein at breakfast. A popular breakfast item is toast topped with avocado, cheese and eggs.
8. Get some sun! Allowing your body to soak up the sun first thing in the morning is a proven way to feel more energy. Start by incorporating a morning walk in your daily routine or enjoy your breakfast while sitting outside.
9. Incorporate balanced snacks into your diet. A favorite snack of ours is banana and peanut butter. It's a perfect combination of carbohydrate, fat and protein! If you are on the go, keep KIND bars in your bag or vehicle.
10. Lastly, don't forget that having "fun" is a natural energy booster! Turn up the music and dance or sing, find ways to laugh and connect with others as often as possible.
Remember to go easy on yourself, no one has perfectly consistent energy levels EVERY single day... not even us health professionals! We recommend being mindful of your energy zappers so that you can continually make improvements over time.
Other Factors to Consider:
If your energy levels are still too low to handle, consider these factors as well:
Meet with your doctor. Assess your thyroid health, vitamin D status, rule out anemia and other health conditions that cause fatigue such as diabetes, heart disease, etc.
Meet with a therapist. Learn ways to set boundaries, combat negative thoughts, and other helpful strategies.
Work with a sleep specialist and rule out sleep apnea
Consider advanced testing, we provide DUTCH hormone testing which has been really helpful for our clients!
For more individualized support, we of course recommend working with us one-on-one! If you are interested in working with one of us, please start by booking a clarity call.